Monday, March 1, 2010
Does the Internet Blur the Lines?
I think that the internet does blur the lines of "legally owned" sometimes. One example that comes to mind right away is youtube videos. A specific kind of videos I watch a lot on youtube are videos of people playing cover songs on guitar. I have played the guitar for about 12 years and I like to learn new songs or see how other people play songs acoustically so I will watch them on youtube. However, some people don't give proper credit to the original artist when they record themselves playing their song. When people add videos to youtube they tag them and give them titles. I actually have a few videos on youtube of me playing some cover songs on my acoustic guitar but when I tag them, I include the original artist's name in the title. For example, I recorded the song "Nutshell" by Alice In Chains so I titled it "Cover of the song Nutshell by Alice In Chains". By doing this, people see that it is a cover song, meaning I'm playing someone else's song. They also see the original artist's name. I think this is a good way to avoid taking credit for someone else's song.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Nick! I am a huge youtube junkie! :) I looked up your video title but there were a lot of covers for that particular song but I'd love to hear it. My youtube addy is http://www.youtube.com/user/jacobandalexsmom84 so feel free to friend me and I will check out your vids and sub ya! I dont make videos so you don't need to sub me. I wrote a blog asking for youtube addys but no one offered. I have a cheap acoustic guitar and plan to learn how to play it soon but I am still working on the basics as I have only had a lesson one time but I will get back to practising soon. Great post!
ReplyDeleteI am proud that you give the artist credit.
ReplyDeleteUnit 4